Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My sample of logos is the U.C.R. or Uniform Crime Report complied by the F.B.I. The UCR is a compilation of crime statistics from cities across the country. Each police department that participates sends the crime statistics from there city to be compared and annualised by the F.B.I. and investigate crime trends. The UCR is broken down by year and category of crime. It also is sectioned by some individual crimes such as hate crimes and assaults on law enforcement. The UCR uses the statistics to make whatever argument the F.B.I. has deemed part of its political agenda. Lately the UCR mainly focuses on violent crime and inflates the statistics to look like crime is more rampant than reality suggests. It also has flaws in that the participation is voluntary and statistics reported are often edited to make departments look more effective.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

As we discussed in class, I think that it would be a good thing to always look into the statistics and polls that are taken, just in case the information is somewhat twisted. It could damage the ethos of those making the argument if it is found that the information is somewhat modified to make a "better" argument. It's interesting how they do use the information in different aspects of governmental research though

Shane T. said...

I find it very comforting that a government organization would inflate statistics and basically lie to us. But if its to make us safer, or just feel safer, I guess the positives out way the negatives.

Allie Weaver said...

Hey, I really liked your example. Its examples like that that really cause someone to pay attention to details and statistics and not just believe everything you read or hear. I think that is a great example of logos.