Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My chosen topic for unit one is going to be oil and energy use and the trouble between it and the government. I was sent to me in an email today about a breaking news on msnbc and it is not yet complete but it sure was interesting. allegedly U.S. Government officials in Denver and Washington have been taking sex, trips, and numerous other gifts from oil companies for rights to drill on federal land etc. Which is a big topic of the upcoming election. It is arguing that our politicians are corrupt and that us as citizens are to pay for it. I chose this topic because for years my dad worked in the oil industry and he knows how much the government is screwing us on gas prices and lying about the amount of oil we have. I just thought that it was a good topic to think about with the up-coming election and how this will affect out children.

4 comments:

Marissa S said...

I found your article really interesting in class today. It makes me so mad to know that we are being screwed when it comes to how much we are paying for gas. Oil is so abundant yet the government doesn't allow it to be drilled in several areas. Also, it's horrible to know that these men are taking bribes like sex and trips when they are supposed to be our leaders and making good decisions for our country!

AlleOsborne said...

Yea i think that politics will always be corrupt. They just dont make people these days like they used to.

Lindsay B said...

What a great topic! Gas prices have definitely risen way to much, but I am not educated on why. It is important that our future president does something to lower the prices. I am pleased to hear that you know about the oil companies, so maybe you will be able to figure out what is going on behind the conspiracies. Hopefully the future president will have an educated, effective plan to change this.

David F said...

I agree completely how the government and the oil industry have a corrupt relationship. But another interesting perspective a teacher told me last year is a question we should all ask ourselves. "how much you pay so that you don't have to walk to where ever your driving too" and personally it makes pay 4 dollar a gallon gas seem more reasonable.